The Alliance welcomes the vision set out in the Sustainable Housing Strategy for existing housing – “warm, high quality, affordable, low carbon homes.” In our consultation response to the draft strategy, we set out 10 recommendations for taking forward this agenda. The recommendations are listed below:
1. A Scottish Retrofit Strategy for Existing Homes, as part of an overall strategy for housing, aiming to achieve at least 42% carbon emissions reduction by 2020.
2. A timetable for the introduction of new regulation and planning controls, backed by market incentives, to improve the energy performance of existing homes.
3. Scotland-wide area-based schemes for retrofitting existing homes alongside a national, demand-led, programme.
4. A range of financial incentives to encourage investment in energy efficiency and micro-generation.
5. New service offerings, products and packages for retrofit.
6. Better information for consumers on household energy use and its carbon emissions.
7. Better energy performance data on existing housing.
8. Reliable quality control and up-skilling on low and zero-carbon technologies.
9. A major programme to catalogue and showcase existing and ongoing exemplar low energy refurbishments.
10. UK energy and tax policy provide incentives to cut emissions.
Read the full consultation response EXHAS_shsconsultation_Sept27
Read the briefing SHS consultatio EXHA brief