The Existing Homes Alliance is calling for a coherent approach coherent approach to meeting higher energy performance standards in homes aligned with Scotland’s over-arching target of net-zero emissions by 2045. Therefore, we support the focus on off-gas buildings, where ‘low regrets’ energy efficiency and low carbon heat measures (both individual and networks) must be taken forward in the next decade. We recommend:
- a well-supported engagement programme with householders and businesses
- regulation and incentives aimed at phasing out high carbon heating (coal, oil and LPG) in off-gas areas and replace it with low carbon heating through building regulations from 2025.
- government fuel poverty and area-based programmes should support a just transition by funding low carbon heating from 2019
- the Scottish Government’s work with the supply chain on quality, consumer protection and skills is very welcome and needs greater profile and resource.
- more focus on the opportunities for small heat networks which can provide a low carbon, cost effective solution in rural off-gas areas.